Monday, December 12, 2011

Your Input Matters!

While we feel strongly that a blog is an outstanding tool for sharing information and connecting families, we are eager to hear WHY you would be drawn to read the Building Healthy Families blog! Please respond to our survey by the end of December, to help shape and influence the material being delivered to the families of Northeastern Oregon. All voters will be entered to win a Winter Family Fun pack full of treats and ideas for children of all ages. Thank you in advance for your valuable ideas and feedback....we look forward to providing the information that is most helpful and interesting to each of you!

1 comment:

  1. Especially during the holidays, it is so important for grandparents to support parents wishes for their children. When parents attempt to limit the number of sweets their child consumes or stick with a bedtime routine and schedule it can be very difficult if a grandparent is counteracting those efforts. As "Nana", I try to make an intentional effort to support my daughter and her husband. We have already had a discussion about the schedule for Christmas morning and what her expectations are. Because I spend a lot of time with my grandchildren, I have an idea of what some of the rules and routines are. Yet,I assume nothing. For example: When the children argue with Mom or try to nag her into submission about something they want to have or do, rather than getting involved in the issue, I distract them by offering to read a story, play a game or go for a walk. I choose an activity I know my daughter approves of and something the grandchildren love to do. Whatever you do, don't contradict Mom in front of the children. If you don't agree with something, talk about it later when the children aren't present.
    I have also talked with my daughter and her husband about the gifts they are giving their children which has helped me purchase gifts that fit with their family needs and values.
    Being "Nana" is so special and wonderful, however, when all of the grown-ups are on the same page about discipline, family routines and rules it makes the holidays and every day better for everyone...especially the children.

    ReplyDelete